HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Law of Equivalent Exchange

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FOXxXTrotMOD

FOXxXTrotMOD

PostSubject: Law of Equivalent Exchange   Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:31 pm

" I'm pleased to see that everyone here experienced on shifting small objects into something else. " Professor Peyton called out with a patient tone, he was in front of his desk with his hands in his pockets. He was leaning his back on his desk the whole time, showing that he was completely comfortable on teaching his lessons with his chosen students. " you may have witnessed myself using Alchemy to its full potential, I promise you.. everyone of you that you too will be able to do this with time. All I ask is for your determination to learn, if you do not quit on me.. I will never quit on you." The man pushed off his desk and paced over to his white board.

" The law of Equivalent Exchange!" The man called out to his students with a firm nod.

" Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is the alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange."

" Meaning ~ the block of wood we have been practicing on our past lessons can only be shifted into something of equal value. That is why we can not change a single block into a car. There are a handful of you in here who have witnessed others breaking that rule. If this rule does not apply, there are consequences. So please be advised and THINK before shifting. "

The professor cleared his throat and made his way back to his desk to sip his tea. " Alchemy, is a human practice. Other races, for example, mystics have a college of magic categorized as Alteration. Do not confuse the two, Alteration can only be achieved through mystic blood.. Alchemy, may be obtained by any human with the right guidance. "

------ Homework: Due Date 1 - 20 -2011 --------

" As I said before. Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost."

" What is this meaning to you? Give me examples to defend your thoughts. Why is it important? Why do you believe this law was created? Who would like to start us off? "
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeltaMod

DeltaMod

PostSubject: Re: Law of Equivalent Exchange   Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:22 am

Devyn thought about the question posed by the professor for several long seconds. In a way, it made sense just through simple logic. He bit the inside of his lip slightly as he considered all the possibilities. "Well, it just makes sense. It's a way to maintain balance. If something like the law of equivalent exchange did not exist, what's to keep alchemists from changing something like... air into gold? I mean, I'm sure you can find some properties that match up, but it's not equivalent. Eventually, you end up with an abundance of gold, which is now worthless because it's value is inherent in it's rarity, and no air left. Thus, even if that is permitted, there's a drawback to prevent misuse," the mimic explained, essentially talking out his thoughts.

"So really, the law exists for our own protection and for that of everyone else. There should be a pain of some kind; a loss associated with your gain so that it's zero sum. No winning, no losing, simply a change." ( +1 Enlightenment point. Edited By: Foxtrot )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NovemberMod

NovemberMod

PostSubject: Re: Law of Equivalent Exchange   Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Jordan had to really think about it. She wasn't entirely sure she could come up with a good example. Before she could even really think Devyn started them off and gave the perfect answer. Smarty pants. She teased in her mind, liking his answer. She furrowed her brow and licked her lips, leaning back in the chair as her own hand raised.

"I agree with Dev." She started, "only I don't really agree about the whole no pain no gain theory. I mean... it makes sense that the world needs to be balanced, since if you start making loads of things better than what they are, then the value of the good things would go down, but if there's loss associated then whats the point of alchemy?" She hadn't really answered his question, but at least she thought she put her own spin on things. "I mean, I know you have to lose something because you can't make something out of nothing, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, right? Just... as long as it's equal?" She was confusing herself and her nose wrinkled, so she stopped. ( +1 Enlightenment Point. Edited By: Foxtrot )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NovemberMod

NovemberMod

PostSubject: Re: Law of Equivalent Exchange   Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:08 pm

The girl blinked as Jo seemed to ramble on about nothing in particular. "The law exists like every law exists; to prevent people from abusing a system that can be used for good. Like the music industry. There are laws prohibiting the illegal downloading of music, but people do it anyway because it's available online. It's easy to take. Artists load their stuff online, people put it on share sites and before you know it that artist is dumpster diving for dinner because he has no money, since his talent was given away." She herself had illegally downloaded music before, but more often than not she bought CD's or payed the $.99 for the song. "I guess that would be the same with this. It's easy to take things because they're right there, but that doesn't mean you should abuse it. Someone's going to be paying for it, even if it's not you." ( + 1 Enlightenment Point. Edited By: Foxtrot )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FOXxXTrotMOD

FOXxXTrotMOD

PostSubject: Re: Law of Equivalent Exchange   Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Schroeder had to think about it, generally everyone had the same idea but It sounded like Professor Peyton just needed to hear that everyone should understand how important the rule was. When the last student sat down he stood up and shifted his weight from his left to right, his eyes casually peaking over towards his notes.

" its foundation is simple enough. To obtain an object, whatever that object might be, something of equivalent value must be exchanged, given up or lost. I can see where an individual may acquire an object without an expenditure of their time. For example, a welfare recipient may acquire a car without earning it. that is without echanging something of equal value from their life, but the law is still in effect. in cases like this is just means that prodcutive people must be robbed of their time which then becomes the equivalent exchange that proves the car, or food, or housing entertaininment..medical care.. etc. the list really goes on."

Schroeder cleared his throat and looked around the room, wondering if he was already talking too much. " basically, it means that even with the power of alchemy.. there are still consequences to what we do. We may not be effected by it, but there might be others that will." The 14 yeard old by offered a small smile and sat back down before glancing over towards Dev for his reaction. (+1 Enlightenment point. Edited by: Foxtrot )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeltaMod

DeltaMod

PostSubject: Re: Law of Equivalent Exchange   Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Cyle furrowed his brows a little bit as he sat back in his seat, considering the answers. "I don't think it's that simple. There's more to it." He leaned forward, tongue out of his mouth a little bit, looking clearly like he was trying to formulate his thoughts while he talked. "To me, it sounds like more than just a rule or a regulation. It sounds more like something that's like a natural law, like gravity, or somethin'. Even if you try and cheat it, eventually, it catches up to you. There was a cartoon once, and I'm not sure how accurate it was, but it made the point pretty well. A couple of kids tried to ignore the law of equivalent exchange to attempt to bring someone back to life. I was never exactly clear on what happened, but, in the end, one of the kids like had his soul removed from his body and placed into a suit of armor, while the other lost an arm. It was pretty extreme. And it looked like it was the alchemy that did it.

"So, I guess my point is that this is more than what we're saying. I think the art may try and find it's exchange. It may be, like Schroeder or Anjali say, effecting someone else, but it seems to me that alchemy will find it's equivalent exchange, whether we offer it or not, and the consequences could get really bad and extreme," he offered. He was referring to the cartoon Full Metal Alchemist that he'd seen a few times on Cartoon Network. It hadn't really caught his interest long term, but every now and then, he'd been too stoned to change the channel, and, apparently, did pick something up from the show. (+1 Enlightenment Point. Edited By: Foxtrot )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FOXxXTrotMOD

FOXxXTrotMOD

PostSubject: Re: Law of Equivalent Exchange   Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:35 am

Keith nodded with everyone's comment and all of them made sense! He knew that it would be eventually his turn. The boy cleared his throat and got up, not really knowing what to say since the basics were already covered.

" Gee Wiz, everyone seemed to say all the things I wanted to say. " The boy gave an awkward chuckle and moved the scratch the back of his head. " My mom always said that if things were free there would always be a catch to it... if you think about it, it really does apply to the law of equivalent exchange too! When I would go to places around the strip there's people out there who offer things like, free shows or get this for free or that for free! The catch is you have to sit down for like 3 hours and watch a presentation, Once I got caught in that and I realized after about 20 minutes in it wasn't even worth it!" Keith chuckled and shifted his weight from his left to right.

" even the saying goes, the best thing in life is free. Well, they really are but if you think about theres a cost to it. It doesn't have to be money. Like for an example, the friendship you have or.. your loved ones! The care they give to you is the best feeling in the world, when you hold someone you loves hand.. or when you get a kiss. It warms your heart and your body all over! I don't have to pay for it, but the equivalent exchange to that is my own love in return! So.. the law doesn't have to be applied in just objects it an be applied to life too! " Keith blushed a little but was smiling nonetheless. " and.. yeah, thats it!" The chuckled and sat back down before looking to the next student. ( +1 Enlightenment point. Edited by: Foxtrot Mod)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Law of Equivalent Exchange   

Back to top Go down

Law of Equivalent Exchange
Page 1 of 1