Diablo Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diablo Forum

Living in sin is the new thing

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Science and Religion - Religion aspect.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FOXxXTrotMOD

FOXxXTrotMOD

Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  Empty
PostSubject: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 8:33 am

" Alchemy is more than just Science. " Peyton lectured, knowing that it would only be a matter of time before his young alchemists would be able to use this practice outside the class room. " We were able to get hands on experience on shifting shape, density and even size. We understood exactly what the transmutation circle was and we even realized how doing this practice may not only effect you but others also. "

The Professor made his way towards his computer and started a power point, the slides portraying famous images such as religious icons all ranging from Christianity to Buddhism. " I'm sure that everyone here as their own set of belief, to some people religion is their life. A guideline to living a humble life. As an alchemist, you must understand to think outside of the box. The basics of religion are actually the same only with different names but they have the same meaning. To love each other as thy neighbor, to respect those in the way of being respected back. If we were to take out the names and stories but followed the guide lines, it would be the exact same thing. "

-------------- Homework Due 01-24-2011 -----------

" I'm interested to know what everyone's belief is. How does Religion effect your life? Do you believe that having a Religion has an advantage to those who don't? Why do you think faith is important? "
Back to top Go down
DeltaMod

DeltaMod

PostSubject: Re: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 8:57 am

Cyle bit his lip and furrowed his brow a little as he started the class out. "What is religion?" he asked before looking over at Keith, knowing that the two of them shared a bond that he held as quite special. "Many years ago, my brother made a prayer to the ancient gods, specificly Poseidon. The ritual he performed killed him, but Poseidon heard the prayer and granted me the powers I have today." His gaze moved around the room. "Every day, I hear about people praying for money, for fame, for glory for themselves. Or they may pray for someone else, but they're not hearing the pleas asked of them."

He licked his lips, not really sure where he was going with this, but letting his heart speak instead of his stoned mind. "I think there's a difference between a religion and a belief. I firmly belive in a higher power; one who's helped me in the past, and who in return has personally asked for my own help. But that's not religion. Religion as we know it today is flawed by man. Some have beliefs of being good people and all, but they turn around with hatred towards people who are different." He looked towards Keith once more, remembering the letter he'd written to Poseidon with the prayer for the boy; one that he'd never told Keith about. "Individual beliefs are great, they help make you who you are, but religions that force their beliefs onto people... that's not right. That takes away from who an individual is and makes them just like everyone else."
( +1 Enlightenment Point. Edited by: Foxtrot Mod )
Back to top Go down
NovemberMod

NovemberMod

PostSubject: Re: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Anjali furrowed her brows as Cyle spoke. She believed some of the things he said, but others were offensive to her. Just because he didn't believe in a specific religion, didn't mean religions were all flawed by man. "Religion is not flawed by man." The girl countered after Cyle spoke.

"With every religion there are extremists. The Evangelical church, for instance, is usually well known for their forceful push on Christianity, and there are many others who are willing to do more than preach for their belief in a God or many Gods, but there is a sanctity in religion. For those who are alone, a higher being is all they have to keep them going and give them peace of mind. It is what aids us in becoming one with the universe, one with each other. I agree with the professor; religions are very different, but at their core they are all very much the same. Religion, in my opinion, helps shape the world we live in for the better. It creates unity amongst groups of people, even if it can also cause divides."

The girl looked around, surprised at how strongly she felt about this topic. "I'm a Hindu. I, like Cyle, received my gifts from a God, though Vishnu never came to me. I received this gift through a great deal of karma over my past lives. I don't know who I was before I was Anjali Kedar, but Vishnu has granted me this gift on my way towards moksha." It didn't matter if none of them believed what she'd said, it was what she'd been taught and it was what she believed. "Religion is very powerful, and without it the world would have no set of morals to follow, no consequences to fear for deviant behavior. It's what keeps mankind in line, even if there are those that take it a step too far and kill in its name." ( +1 Enlightenment Point. Edited by: Foxtrot Mod)
Back to top Go down
FOXxXTrotMOD

FOXxXTrotMOD

PostSubject: Re: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 6:58 pm

" You'r a Hindu, Anjali?" Keith asked with both his brows arched, his expression bright as usual. " Gee wiz, that's the neatest thing ever! Even though I don't know about it, its still really super awesome that everyone's different."

The new senior looked up towards the professor and offered a soft smile before standing up for his turn. Keith had been in the alchemy practice for awhile now and he was more than comfortable talking with his peers. " Both Cyle and Anjali have a point. I mean, I know theres people out there who really do force their beliefs down peoples throat and sometimes they don't even get it when your not interested. sometimes they make you feel bad about it too and I think thats what Cyles talking about.. but I also agree with Anjali that there will always be extremists out there! It doesnt even have to be in religion, theres extremists with everything! "

" I was raised Christian and my Mom used to take me to church with her when I was younger, I admit we don't go to church every sunday anymore but that doesn't mean that we dont hold the morals they taught us. When I was there, there were a handful of people who prayed for the wrong things.. but that doesn't mean that religions are flawed. It's only flawed if It doesn't work for you right?" Keith asked and looked around the room wanting comfirmation from his peers. " But if you live a good life and you treat others the same way you want to be treated then gee wiz you have it made! Faith is important to me..it really got me through the times I really needed it. Last year I was really sick, the doctors said that I woudnt live through it but here I am. It was cause of Faith that I'm able to sit here and talk about it" (+1 Enlightenment Point. Edited By: Foxtrot Mod)
Back to top Go down
NovemberMod

NovemberMod

PostSubject: Re: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 4:45 am

Jo didn't really know what she was and gulped before cautiously answering. "I was born into a Baptist family." She started. Most of the people there probably knew she hadn't been raised by her mother, or maybe they didn't. "When I was moved around to a lot of different family members, most of them different denominations of Christianity. I've never been very spiritual, though." She bit her lip, almost embarrassed to admit it. Some of the family she'd lived with were very religious, while others could care less about attending or associating themselves with the church.

"I'm agnostic. I believe there's some form of power, I know I've witnessed it and there are angels amongst us, but... I don't really conform to any one religion I guess." She looked around and gave Keith a small smile. He was sweet. "Religion doesn't really affect me at all. I am who I am not because of what I believe in, but how I was raised and how I choose to see things. I don't think this makes me a better person than someone who's atheist, though. Conforming to any one religion gives you no advantage, but having faith in something, I think, does."
( +1 Enlightenment Pont. Edited By: Foxtrot Mod )
Back to top Go down
WhiskeyMod

WhiskeyMod

PostSubject: Re: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:47 pm

Shane stood up and cleared his throat as he always did before he spoke in public, finding everyone's perspectives very interesting in accordance to his own. "I must say that I find everyone's religious beliefs to be very intriguing. Each religion has their own beliefs and rules that they abide by. I was born and raised as Roman Catholic and I always found the difference in opinions along with the debates between Catholics and Christians to be very repetitive." Shane said and hesitated for a moment, thinking of what he was trying to say. "I always suspected that no religion is right nor are they wrong. They all have a general sense of a higher power at hand which they put their faith into. No matter whether it is Hindu, Judaism, Buddhist, Christian or Catholic. The so called 'laws' of each religion may differ but the core teachings are the same; there is something higher out there and to have faith." (+1 Enlightenment Point. Edited By: Foxtrotmod)
Back to top Go down
WhiskeyMod

WhiskeyMod

PostSubject: Re: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Lexy always felt weird talking about religion and always defended her beliefs if anyone ever tried to tell her she was wrong. She stood up and flipped her hair over her shoulder and sucked in a deep breath before speaking. "My mama always taught me to be a good Christian girl. Love thy neighbor, love thyself.. do not cause harm to those who do not cause harm unto you..." She started out saying and faded a little before picking up her voice again nervously. "I guess I still believe the teachings my mama gave me and I even have a bible. I don't like others pushing their religions down my throat. To each his and her own just as long as you give respect to those who disagree."

Lexy interlocked her fingers together in front of her and twisted them in her uneasiness. "I guess, since we have proof that there are angels that walk among us it makes it a little different? A good different though because it makes my faith stronger that God is watching over us and he loves us. And I know that maybe the Christian teachings might be off but I'm okay with that. I'm also okay with learning other religions as long as they don't force it on me. And.. uhh I think thats it!" Lexy said and turned pink, sitting back down in her seat.
( +1 Enlightenment Point. Edited By: Foxtrot Mod )
Back to top Go down
FOXxXTrotMOD

FOXxXTrotMOD

PostSubject: Re: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:27 am

Schroeder didn't have notes on what he was going to say on this one, he figured this was more like a get to know you kind of activity and waited patiently for his turn. Everyone really did have an interesting point of views but the most he could relate to was Jo. When the last student sat down he got up and let out a soft sigh, he was starting to make friends in the room and the scout knew it would be a matter of time before he would be truly comfortable.

" Actually, both my parents are Mormon. " The boy started out and rolled his shoulders. " I mean, yeah I heard the stories and I understand the morals and guidelines they teach people but~ Thats all it really is. At least to me, I dont mean to offend anyone by saying that." Schroeder looked around the room and gave a nervous chuckle. " If I had to categorize myself, I would safely say I'm Aignostic. I believe there really someone out there who helped create everything, I just.. dont know if I want to call him or her the name GOD. I mean, there are evidence out there about Faith vs Science. A doctor can tell you, you have 4 months to live.. but I personally know a few of my parents friends who used the power of faith to outlive the experation date. So I don't want to say that Faith doesnt effect our lives.. because it does. Alot of things do, there are just too many factors to put in. "

Schroeder offered a light smile and returned his attention to the professor. " So I guess what I'm saying is, there is quite a possibility that religion or. faith would be able to trump Science. Science is never complete to begin with, theres always a factor of beating the evidence. " (+1 Enlightenment Point. Edited By: Foxtrot Mod)
Back to top Go down
DeltaMod

DeltaMod

PostSubject: Re: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:47 am

Devyn stood up last, his brows furrowing a little bit. "I don't think it makes a difference about what religion you are, just that you have faith in something. It can be something seen or unseen, proven or unproven. As long as there is something in your life that can give you meaning. Even an atheist who believes in science strictly is believing in some reason for being, for existing and for being here."

He licked his lips and looked around the room. "I was raised Roman Catholic because of where I was born, in Quebec. But, each religion out there has it's own beauty, and you can't help but stare at the things people would build in the name of their Gods. The cathedrals of Catholisim; the mosques of Islam, the shirines of Shinto, the temples of Hinduism and Buddhism, and these are just the everyday buildings. The artwork that religions have inspired, the archetecture and the stories. Whether real or not, these things define who we are, just as much as the infinate universe, the unceaseing night sky, the unexplored depths of our own earth's oceans and lands. It all comes together to create the human existance. And all of it is inspired by a faith. Faith that there is something out there that we don't understand. Yet, we keep going, constantly trying to understand it better. God, the heavens... all of it. I personally don't believe that there is some old man with a long beard up above on a pearly white cloud looking down on us. I believe there are higher powers, and that there is one higher than the rest. But I don't think I'll ever understand it fully. And I don't think I'm meant to. It's the journey that's important. Once we accomplish the journey, what's next? We can observe the power that exists in the universe and appreciate it in wonder now. I don't know that I want to know all the answers. But... Part of being human is never giving up the search anyway," he concluded with a small smile around the room before sitting down again. (+1 Enlightenment Point. Edited By: Foxtrot Mod)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Science and Religion - Religion aspect.    Science and Religion - Religion aspect.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Science and Religion - Religion aspect.
Page 1 of 1